PDA

View Full Version : The One Fog Rule

Dizzy Wildcrash
11-27-2014, 12:19 AM
I asked my group if we could use two fogs on the two 11s and I didn't get a response. So I used a fog with a bunny.

Then...
bunny: -.-
dog: wow dog
cat: omg y

Here are reasons I don't like the one fog rule. TokiSpirit and OrpheusTT on reddit summarize the reasons well so I will be quoting them.

I prefer 2 fogs to 1 because it actually does save time. Sometimes it depends on the floor, like when you see that you're about to go through two rooms in a row with 4 sets each or when restock rooms are in terrible locations, it's good to plan your fogs out ahead of time since one of the issues with the 1 fog strat is that you waste restock barrels. Getting a sound restock barrel with the 2 fog strat is the fastest.
But generally speaking, no matter what strategy you use, you shouldn't be spending more than 2 turns per set. If you do the 1 fog rule for every battle, you're forcing 2 turns when you otherwise could have spent 1. That's the obvious short term time saver. Then you look at a 2 turn sound strategy vs. a 2 turn lure strat. A 2 turn lure strat is faster than sound, because you skip the cog attack animation, and you don't get hit which means no need to toon up which means skipping the tu animation as well. You could always forego the toon up anyway though.
So in the end, by using 1 fog you think you're saving time, but you're not. It's an effect of people thinking that sound is the fastest option in ANY scenario, but it really depends on the gags you use. It's easier to coordinate with randoms, but it doesn't really save that much time. If you're going in with your friends and you all know what you're doing (as in, you know how to assign cakes/tnt), then I find 2 fog strat to be better.
My edit for your edit: Part of the strategy is planning ahead for the chance you might get a sound barrel. But you don't get one more often than not, and the 2 fog strategy still stands.

This sums it up pretty well. People in Toontown will blindly adhere to the one-fog rule because they think it saves time, but as long as you have good strategy, it will be faster to double fog some sets and lure some sets.
A bullion mint can have, at most, 11 sets of cogs, and the players in the mint will have 12 fogs between them. I still think it's not a bad idea to use one fog on a set of cogs with three level 10s and one level 11, but on sets with two level 11 cogs, I highly endorse using 2 fogs.
Following this approach would allow you to use sound on 8 battles. For the remaining battles, you can lure and double TNT*, or you might get lucky with cogs joining slow, allowing you to double cloud two cogs, then double cloud the next two.
The one-fog rule is annoyingly time-consuming, not only because of the cog attack animations, but because of the toonup animations, because people for some reason think you're going to die if you have 90/100 laff and they'll give you a toonup in every single battle.
Using lure more often is more efficient, assuming the people you're playing with aren't horrible strategists and you can finish every lure battle in two rounds.
*Side note: If three people in the mint have maxed trap, often people like to triple-TNT the sets of four level 11 skelecogs. This is wasteful. Only two TNTs should be used, because in either case, you're going to need two rounds to kill all the cogs.

TL;dr:
Here are the points of emphasis:

toon up used every battle with one fog rule a.k.a. SLOWS THINGS DOWN, USELESS, NO POSSIBLE WAY OF GOING SAD WITH 92/108, STOP TRAINING
lure can take two rounds a set
one fog rule: all sets are two rounds
two fogs: half of sets in bullions are 1 round others 2 with lure
double tnt instead of triple to save tnt (two rounds anyways)

What are your thoughts on the one fog rule?

Hope
11-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I go with whatever the group does. I don't find it something to get mad over.

Allure
11-27-2014, 12:35 AM
I honestly do like the one-fog rule; not so much because it's supposed to be "time-saving", but because it's universal. Most people going into mints know the drill and we get on with it. I'll normally go with what people want to do, so if they want to double fog, I'm definitely okay with that, and if we have a soundless, we'll just take a little more time.
I think if you're really desperate on finishing fast, by all means, double fog 8 battles and lure 3, but time isn't that big of a deal to me so I don't really care what strategy is used.

As to the toonup every battle thing, yes, it's not needed, but it's more of a filler for the people that aren't finishing the cog(s) after the sound. Plus I think it's kind of nice to toon others when their laff isn't full.

Gluteus Maximouse
11-27-2014, 12:43 AM
It's a game.
I don't mind either.
But, I don't think it is right for the one-fog-preachers to get upset over someone using two fogs either. All parties involved should communicate and get along with a strategy.

That being said, I do agree that the two-fog rule is indeed quicker and more sensible than one-fog, if you're really talking strategy and efficiency.

My Fair Lady
11-27-2014, 12:47 AM
My thoughts: whatever the group wants to do. In a way, I like the one fog rule because everyone seems to understand it. Not everyone splits clouds on their same side, but everyone knows what it is to use one fog. If my group wants to use more fogs, fine by me. I play to relax and enjoy a few hours of faux reality, and if I pay too much attention to all the different strategies people do, or I should do, or I didn't do, I all drive myself nuts.

Poisoned Paradise
11-27-2014, 12:58 AM
I prefer using two fogs because it's faster. If someone insists on using one fog, I sometimes throw in an extra fog and say "oops" to make at least that round go faster.

Princess Nutty
11-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Personally I really don't like the one fog rule. I'm not sure why it's considered a "rule" in the first place. I much prefer two fogs. Luring isn't the end of the world and a battle where you use one fog and underkill is no faster or slower than one in which you lure and defeat them. I just don't really understand why people willingly underkill the cogs when you can lure the cogs, most likely not take any damage and get the battle done in a similar amount of time.

Pitiful Purrfection
11-27-2014, 01:20 AM
I don't really care. I just go with whatever the group wants. It's not worth the arguments some people start because they believe in the one fog rule soooooooooo much. :dunno:

Master Prime
11-27-2014, 01:20 AM
I've never been into this situation ever to use that "One Fog" Rule as a strategy, but after hearing and seeing how it works, I honestly dont like it. I find it uterly useless in certain situations, especially how when you use that rule on 4 lvl 12s since it just damages them and you just receive the damage back. I use sound to get rid of all cogs as much as possible and try to take the least damage as possible.

Nice Nakul
11-27-2014, 01:44 AM
I just do what the group does because I am not really keen on arguing with people. :shrug:

Lebron
11-27-2014, 01:59 AM
Interesting that you posted this because I was pondering a lot on this lately when I was reminiscing about my old soundless toon. It crossed my mind that having a soundless toon doesn't mean a slower mint because of luring and then hitting, as it says you then skip the cog attacking animations and the tooning up. Plus, it's way more likely to get cloud and birthday barrels then sound barrels, or so it feels so idk... I guess I just go with whatever the group does but I wish more people would see that there are more options than just the 1-Fog rule.

Gluteus Maximouse
11-27-2014, 02:35 AM
All this being said, what do you guys think of the CEO? Wouldn't that be a good (and only good) place to use the one fog rule?

EDIT: I just realized that this thread was most likely meant in terms of bullions and law offices (because of the reference to barrels and floors and such). But I think it's a good thing to bring up anyway :)

astra
11-27-2014, 02:44 AM
I use the two fog rule everywhere because I restock sound for my team. It is much quicker. If I don't have a restock, I just do whatever the rest of the team wants to do. :grin2:

Dot
11-27-2014, 04:10 AM
I honestly dont care, how the group does it. (Going along with what the group wants usually). But I do agree two fogs are better than one.

Derrick
11-27-2014, 05:53 AM
I just go with the group choices.

Plushie
11-27-2014, 10:29 AM
I was greened in a VP last night because I "took the game seriously" by asking someone to please let people know if their fog horn isn't maxed when we attempted to use the 2-fog rule. All the fog rules are a joke imo.

Kuitsuku
11-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I go with whatever the group does. I don't find it something to get mad over.
:yeahthat:
Lately, with all the disconnects, every time I do a bullion we always end up with three so we end up using two fogs anyways.

Little Melody Pickletoon
11-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Honestly i prefer the one fog rule but half the time i just speed through bullions/other mints anyways by using my level 7's :'D

Wiibob Rox
11-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh... so this menace has begun to enter the minds of toons who do bullions...

Aside from using it in the CEO cog battle, I think this rule is really dumb and slows down mints. When I worked cash nearly 2 months ago we would only use 2 fogs if there were 2 (or more) cogs that were level 11 and it honestly worked out fine. Using lure doesn't waste that much time at all if people have tnt, pianos, or cakes AND you won't be needing to use toonup from any extra cogs hitting you.

It's just sad to know that people are brainwashed into using inefficient strategies and won't listen to reason when opposed.

Flamin' Hot
11-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Honestly I'll do whatever the group wants. I love one fog rule because there are so many ' bad players ' on the game where they don't know how to use two fogs efficiently. I only use two fogs when I'm with people I know or unless someone is restocking. It's about the same time so why are people constantly complaining? Quit taking the game seriously.

Memory
11-27-2014, 12:42 PM
I go with whatever method my group does. Although I prefer the one fog rule, so we dont have to be halfway through and then lure.

Connor
11-27-2014, 03:09 PM
I'll do whatever gets me to the end of the battle.

Sakura
11-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Using the one-fog rule anywhere other than the CEO's first round is ridiculous. It was started by toons who want to train their toon-up in the mints, DA office, VP, CFO, CJ, etc. The only place it should exist is the first cog round of the CEO.

Purrfectly Impurrfect
11-28-2014, 01:50 PM
I prefer using two fogs, but I just follow what my group does. I find most people I do bullions with prefer the one fog rule, so I just go along with it. :shrug:

Mariel
11-29-2014, 12:50 AM
It's just sad to know that people are brainwashed into using inefficient strategies and won't listen to reason when opposed.

:yeahthat:

I've been putting off working cash because I simply cannot abide the one fog rule. It's completely and totally idiotic and when I worked cash on TTO I was always tossing in extra fogs when ppl refused (gotta use those foghorn replacement sos cards sometime rite) to ditch their inefficient ways. Sometimes I'd let them know I'd restock sound so we could double fog and people STILL insisted on using the one fog rule.I've only done a handful of bullions on TTR but most of them have been with friends or me running all four toons cuz my experience with randoms has been awful. Any time you have to lure ppl are complete idiots.

Cashbot HQ is where strategy goes to die because no one knows what they're doing. It's the midway hq where ppl are still clueless about lots of diff cog strategies because working sell didn't teach them anything except how to SPAM sound so when they get to cashbot hq they're like zOMg let's spaM moAR soUND. The one fog rule is a coping mechanism for dealing with things you don't understand. Rather than trying to understand you throw what little you know at it and hope it doesn't hurt you. When you come out with your cogbucks you figure it worked since hey i used sound and sound = fast but that is not the caSE. Just thinking about it just makes me want to exploDE.

Patrick
11-29-2014, 11:41 AM
It is all kinds of terrible and I don't get why people use it. It just doesn't work.

You know what's funny? I never remember seeing that strategy before 2011. What caused it to spring into the mints?

Sadie Twinkleberry
11-29-2014, 11:57 AM
I gave into the one fog rule because, as others have stated, it's like a universal strategy (albeit a terrible one for mints) that everyone seems to know. I also gave up not only arguing in-game why using two fogs in a mint is quicker, but also offering to restock sound to be able to double fog without worrying about restocks. :facepalm:

Jordan The Dog
11-29-2014, 01:19 PM
I agree with you, Dizzy. I usually do 2 fogs and it gets me ticked off a little bit if they don't do 2 foghorns. I let it slide the first time, but if they keep doing this, they're with the 1 fog rule cause they think it saves time.

Wake up, people. Taking 2 turns wastes time, as opposed to using 2 fogs to destroy them in only 1 turn. Sure, you will lose fogs quicker, but at least you're going through faster. You can always lure if you don't got sound. Personally, I think that whoever invented the 1 fog rule just wanted to train his/her gags.

Meowsy
12-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I usually go with the group, but I do much prefer two fogs instead of the one fog rule.

Ultimate Mayhem
12-07-2014, 11:56 PM
I don't like the one fog rule. It's better to defeat the cogs as quickly as possible rather than always rely on sound. Sound isn't the only gag in the game, you know.

AquaCat
12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
I thought one fog rule was only used for people training toon-up?

OhSoHardcore
12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I go with whatever the group wants.

Sir Whiskers
12-08-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't mind either way, but something about using sound consecutively in a Bullion always felt quicker to me. I'm not sure which way is actually faster though.

MatthewH
12-08-2014, 04:53 PM
I don't mind either way, but something about using sound consecutively in a Bullion always felt quicker to me. I'm not sure which way is actually faster though.

2 fogs are better. If you're really lucky, you could finish under 15 minutes (also cog dependent on how many are in the bullion)

Prof. McMuffin
12-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Well, the one fog rule is useless with a soundless in the group, so I can't complain. :)

Although, back when I was working a toon in cash in TTO, my group would always stick to the one fog rule and luring the sets with 4 11's. It felt like work in a place that is already so nauseating. Towards the end of Toontown, I used to offer to restock my group's gags if they agreed to use two fogs, but more times than not the toons I were with would get confused and do their own thing. The one fog strategy doesn't require much skill to master