PDA

View Full Version : VP Gag Level

Mariel
07-15-2014, 06:45 PM
What do you think is the minimum that a toon should have before embarking on a VP battle in terms of gag levels? If you don't have a minimum for others do you have a standard for yourself? If so, what is it?

For me I think an ideal minimum would be:

Toon Up: up to Bamboo Cane
Lure: up to 10 dollar bill
Throw: up to birthday cake
squirt: up to hose

Bellissima
07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
I think that a toon should have mostly level 5 and 6 gags. Maybe one level 4 gag.

Quackers and Cheese
07-15-2014, 07:32 PM
My Standards:
Toon-Up: Bamboo
Trap: Idc
Lure: Big Magnet
Throw: Whole Cream Pie
squirt: Hose

I really only do 2 vps with these gags, then hold off till I get better ones

Emo Kitten
07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
That depends on the people I'm VPing with. If I was trying to get a random group in river (rip) or something, I'd wantttt:
level 4+ toon up, sound, and/or lure
level 5+ throw, squirt

If I was going with friends, I probably wouldn't even think twice about gags because you don't need too many strong gags when everyone knows strategy. I've definitely done VPs on small toons who had nothing higher than a seltzer bottle, and I never would have invited myself to the group. Thanks, Toons United!

Poisoned Paradise
07-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I'd like level 4+ throw and squirt.

My Fair Lady
07-15-2014, 08:09 PM
It depends who I am doing the VP with. If I am taking some friends, I just look that the gags from other players look full enough and don't care much about the levels, which is usually how I VP anyways. I also take this approach in random VPs, as long as we make around 4 players with strong gags (this is so everyone has a chance to survive). :counting:

I also loved going to the VP elevator, hoping in, and playing with whoever decided to join. However, although it's very fun, there can be a lot of casualties. Everyone gets a chance to play but not everyone is able to level up. Hazards of the game.

For myself, unless I am going with friends, I don't VP with less than lvl 6 throw and squirt. I actually prefer to max those two just because it's harder to communicate the damage, and whether it needs help, etc, with a group.

Joann
07-15-2014, 08:30 PM
It never really crossed my mind to check gag levels when I VP because the more the merrier! As long as the people that are in my group are kind and courteous, I don't mind running with them since everyone wants to have fun.

When I finally got my sell suit on TTR, I never really thought twice about what level my gags were and I still had fun VPing with a group of strangers and/or friends. :rocking:

Roxy's gags when she first did a VP:
Throw: Cream Pie
Squirt: Hose
Sound: Bugle?
Lure: Small Magnet
Toon-Up: Cane

Bittersweet
07-15-2014, 09:10 PM
i'd want at least level 5 throw, squirt, and sound

Mikey
07-15-2014, 09:34 PM
If the toon knows what they're doing (so basically if they have a bigger toon), I think that the lowest I would like to see is level 4 gags. But if not..
Toon-up: Bamboo Cane
Trap: Doesn't matter, it's mostly not used anyways.
Lure: Big magnet, but 10 dollar bill would be nicer because it's a higher chance of not missing.
Sound: Elephant trunk
Throw: Cream pie
Squirt: Fire hose
Drop: Big weight, but a safer option would be the Safe in order to have a better hit probability.

Vouleux
07-16-2014, 04:30 AM
Toon-up: Lipstick
Trap: uhhhhh, defo not suitable unless you've maxxed it
Lure: Big magnet or ten dollar bill
Drop: Safe

Ellie
07-16-2014, 05:02 AM
When I did my first VP I had level 6 throw and toon up, level 5 squirt and a level 4 drop.

Bunny
07-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Toon-up : Lipstick
Trap- TNT that does 157+
Lure- 10 dollar
Throw - Birthday cake
Squirt - Cloud
Drop- Safe

Mia
07-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Toon up - cane
Trap - doesn't matter
Lure- big magnet at least
Throw & squirt - lvl 4or5
Drop doesn't count lol
Sound - aoogah

Libby
07-16-2014, 01:11 PM
The lowest gags I can ever recall bringing were all level 5s. Usually I had at least maxed throw and squirt (in exception to my throwless) and possibly maxed sound and/or lure. Ideally, I'd say someone defeating the VP for the first time should have at least level 5 throw and squirt and level 3/4 on the other gags. The only exception to this is ubers. Personally, I hated doing all uber runs where the rule was minimum level 5 throw and squirt because then, 8 people would show up with the absolute minimum level gags and then it'd be nearly impossible to win. So for ubers, I'd say maxed throw and squirt and probably level 5ish for the other gags.

Flamin' Hot
07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Toon up - cane
Lure - big magnet
Throw/Squirt - cake and storm cloud

Candy Sparklemuffin
07-16-2014, 02:54 PM
For myself, I want level 5 throw and squirt and level 4 in every other track.

For others, it really depends on how well I know them and the team composition (i.e. 4 Hollywoods and 4 Cold Callers).

Good Ol Furball
07-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Toon-up: Lipstick
Trap: uhhhhh, defo not suitable unless you've maxxed it
Lure: Big magnet or ten dollar bill
Drop: Safe
This ^ (sun)

Purrfectly Impurrfect
07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
If they have good strategy (say it's a friend) and they have bad gags, I'd still take them. I will do a VP with any toon as long as they aren't greeners and understand how to play. I never liked how all Hollywoods went into VP without a single low toon, that really bugged me. I don't think it's right to choose a certain gag level to do a VP; I think toons should be more understanding and accept lower toons. But of course, you're not going to be able to take all these low toons and I understand you prefer certain gags to get it done quicker. (sun)

Master Flip
07-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Gags are less important than the actual competence needed to wield them correctly without causing the team to trip up, or spend a turn Tooning up when they could have easily knocked the cogs out some other way. Nevertheless, I do believe there should be some minimum, very basic requirements that all four toons should have so that they can succeed.

Toonup : Bamboo Cane (Laff is lost quickly, those -20s add up, honestly the only easy way to repair high cog damage is with juggling cubes or a Reward, this is why it is essential to have good teamplay in the VP)
Trap : Trap should not be used unless it is a TNT that can take out a level 11. Not carrying it is just the best option in my opinion if you are a weaker toon.
Lure : Big Magnet is good enough to help the team, even Five-Dollars can do something, but small magnets and one-dollars are too low in accuracy to viably use in any part of the cog battles.
Sound : Aoogah? Four low toons should only sound little cogs. A high group would naturally have Foghorns, expanding the options during the Skelecog round, but assuming we are talking about a group of Cold Callers, sound should only be used on smaller cogs, or to finish off a group of low-healths).
Throw : Whole Cream Pie (Their damage adds up, and knockback will finish most big cogs. Bigger gags are always a plus though).
Squirt : Fire Hose (Same reason)
Drop: Honestly, to me it's the same as trap. I could never help facepalming silently when a smaller toon used his Anvil with my piano on the first level 12. Just bring a maxed one, or don't bring any at all, because drop is too risky to sacrifice a turn on unless it's already doing enough damage to reasonably knock out anything with a stun in one turn.

I personally feel these choices are arguably very strict, but really, a 50 laff with all level four gags can excel if they do the right thing and let the high toons take out any threats to them. It all comes down to how smartly you play, not how strong you are.