PDA

View Full Version : Personal Information

Evanescent Eternity
04-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone!

We just wanted to take a moment to address some concerns that have been brought to light recently in regards to our rule on Personal Information. As you all know from reading the site rules, (or at least, we hope you've read them :stare:) we prohibit members from divulging certain personal information in the interest of keeping both you guys and your account information safe. You can of course read the entire rule in our Site Rules (http://www.toontownalley.com/forums/toontorial/2-site-rules.html), but as a refresher, these are the things that we do not allow to be posted:

Personal Information

We do not accept the following to be posted anywhere on TTA:
Any information that could be used to track your location. We will allow up to state/province level to be posted, but anything more specific (such as districts, cities, addresses, landmarks, etc) will be edited.
Passwords
Last names
Pictures detailing any of the above

We allow the following to be posted as long as it is not on open forum:
Instant messaging screen names
Personal pictures of yourself, family members, friends, etc

In particular, there has been some confusion as to exactly what is and is not allowed as far as "information that could be used to track your location." As stated above, we allow users to specify their location up to their state/province as these are typically very large areas that do not pose a great risk as far as allowing someone to locate any one member. We do not allow users to post anything more specific, such as a cities, districts, counties, addresses, area codes, etc. However, there are also things that can be said that give away specific personal information, even if the person posting it doesn't realize it. For example, we do not allow users to reveal that they will be going to a specific event on a specified date, as people could easily look up the location of said event on the date that was stated and know exactly where someone will be. This can apply to concerts, conventions, parties, and really anything that would result in giving away a member's location to a degree more specific than the state/province level that we allow. The only exception that we have made to this rule as of now is allowing users to state whether they will be going to TTR's OMG!Con Toonfest, as this is a large event that will be attended by many of TTR players, and we're sure a lot of you guys are hoping to go. (Please note that we no longer allow users to reveal if they're going to ToonFest as of 5-26-16. You can read more about this rule change here. (https://toontownalley.com/forums/showthread.php?9705-Update-Regarding-OMGcon-Discussion-and-Personal-Information)

On a similar note, revealing how far you are from any specific location is another round-about way of revealing personal information. While we know that saying you live 500 miles or 500 hours from a location provides a larger radius than 5 miles or 5 hours, we aim to keep things fair by removing any posts of these type that numerically reveal a member's location in relation to a specific place/event/landmark/etc.

Our aim in all of this, again, is to keep all of you safe and your personal information secure. We care about all of you and would hate to find out that your personal information was compromised due to something posted on our site. If you guys have any questions about this rule or any other, you are more than welcome to PM any of our active Staff members (http://www.toontownalley.com/forums/toontorial/8-tta-staff.html) at any time.

TTA Staff :heartbounce:

Saphera
04-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Thank you staff for this reminder and all that you do. Its greatly appreciated. :embarrassed2:

Mariel
04-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying these things! Tbh I didn't even know most of this stuff. :p

Princess Hulagadget
04-23-2015, 12:12 AM
If I was an admin/mod and I had just edited several posts for the same reason, I would post this reminder up too.

Oh wait I already did something very similar on a forum site I AM admin of LOL

Thanks for the clarification!

Tanner
04-23-2015, 02:34 AM
What exactly does on an "Open Forum" mean? What is the difference between Open Forum and whatever the other thing is? it seems pretty vague

So like... Site rules...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astra
04-23-2015, 02:56 AM
What exactly does on an "Open Forum" mean? What is the difference between Open Forum and whatever the other thing is? it seems pretty vague

So like... Site rules...?

Open forum is referring to all areas of the forum guests are able to view.
All Site Rules apply throughout the forum unless otherwise stated in the subforum rules thread.

Tanner
04-23-2015, 02:57 AM
Open forum is referring to all areas of the forum guests are able to view.
All Site Rules apply throughout the forum unless otherwise stated in the subforum rules thread.

How do we know what is and what is not "Open"

astra
04-23-2015, 03:00 AM
How do we know what is and what is not "Open"

You can log out and poke around as a guest. The areas that you can't access are not considered open forum.

Tanner
04-23-2015, 03:01 AM
You can log out and poke around as a guest. The areas that you can't access are not considered open forum.

Oh, alright. Thank you!

Hope
04-23-2015, 03:02 AM
Thanks for this!

Princess Hulagadget
04-23-2015, 03:07 AM

Wait so that means we'd be allowed to post pictures of ourselves in Trolley Games since I noticed everything Off-Topic and Painted (as well as the last couple user groups) are closed to guests?

As well as on our profiles/VMs?

astra
04-23-2015, 03:09 AM
Wait so that means we'd be allowed to post pictures of ourselves in Trolley Games since I noticed everything Off-Topic and Painted (as well as the last couple user groups) are closed to guests?

As well as on our profiles/VMs?
Yup, that would be fine. :grin2:

Crazy McButterpants
04-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Thank you for this reminder of the rules! ;)

OhSoHardcore
04-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reminder! :sugarrush:

mamaronz
04-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks for keeping us safe :)